The Delta Baggage Policy aims to ensure you are well-informed and equipped with all the necessary information about your luggage, from the time of packing to the end of your journey. These guidelines vary depending on factors such as ticket type, selected cabin class, and your loyalty status with Delta Airlines.
Delta Baggage Policy - Checked Baggage
Delta baggage policy for checked baggage specifies the number of bags, the weight and the size limit allowed on the flight, and the baggage fees. These factors can vary based on the passenger's itinerary and fare class. Get quick information on the Delta Airlines class types and baggage allowances.
Delta Baggage Policy - Number of Bags Allowed
- Delta or Delta Shuttle flights allow up to 10 checked bags per passenger
- Delta Connection Carrier flights allow up to 4 checked bags per passenger
- Delta can limit the amount of excess baggage to 2 baggage per passenger if there is too much excess baggage
- Delta Connection carriers accept excess baggage on a space-available basis, and it may be transported on a later flight
- Bags that exceed the ticketed allocation for a number of pieces, weights, or sizes are accepted on a standby basis
Separate Delta Airlines baggage fees are charged for exceeding the limitations on size, weight, and baggage quantity. This means that if you have an extra bag that surpasses the weight and size restrictions, you will be charged three fees: one for the extra bag, one for exceeding the weight limit, and one for going over the size restriction. It's important to remember that fees are charged for each additional bag each way.
Delta Baggage Policy - Complimentary Bags Allowed Based On Membership
- Delta Medallion Status or SkyTeam Elite & Elite Plus Membership can waive the first checked bag fee as a thank-you for loyalty
- Depending on your Medallion Status and fare type, you may be eligible for additional waived bag fees and increased checked bag weight:
- A Medallion Member travelling in Main Cabin, Basic Economy, or Delta Comfort+ can bring one complimentary bag of up to 50 lbs
- A Medallion Member travelling in Delta One or First Class can check up to 3 bags for free at 70 lbs. per bag
- A Medallion Member travelling domestically in Delta Premium Select can check up to 3 bags for free at 70 lbs. per bag
- Delta SkyMiles American Express Card can receive a complimentary first-checked bag on Delta flights booked using the card. This benefit applies to up to nine passengers, including the Card Member and up to eight travel companions listed on the reservation. At check-in, the first bag of each passenger on the reservation will have its fees waived
Delta Baggage Policy - Carry-On Baggage
Delta's Carry-on Baggage Policy allows passengers to bring one personal item and a carry-on bag on the plane. The personal item and carry-on bag must follow the following restrictions:
- Personal items: Personal items must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat, and it can be one of the following items or an item of similar size and weight: a purse, briefcase, small backpack, camera bag, diaper bag, or laptop bag
- Carry-on bag: The carry-on bag must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat, and the Delta carry-on bag size must be less than 22 x 14 x 9 in or 56 x 36 x 23 cm (including handles and wheels)
- These items are allowed to carry on your flight in addition to the carry-on items:
- A jacket and/or umbrella
- Food or drink purchased past the security checkpoint
- Duty-free merchandise
- Special items include strollers, wheelchairs, child safety seats, or assistive devices like crutches
- There is no Delta carry-on weight limit for baggage except for specific locations where restrictions apply:
- At Singapore's Changi International Airport (SIN), carry-on baggage must not exceed 15 lbs. (7 kg)
- At Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) in China, the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) mandates that domestic carry-on bags should not exceed 10 kg. However, individual airlines may have their own rules for international flights
- At Pudong International Airport (PVG) in Shanghai, China, the carry-on weight limit is 22 lbs. (10 kg)
- If your bag does not fit in the overhead bin or the flight is already filled with a lot of luggage, a gate agent or flight attendant can help you by checking your bags at the gate
- To be allowed in carry-on luggage, any liquids, aerosols, gels, creams, and pastes must be stored in a container that does not exceed 3.4 ounces (100 millilitres) in size. These containers must fit in one single quart-size, zip-top bag of clear plastic and be presented separately at the security checkpoint
Delta Baggage Policy - Weight & Dimensions
|Cabin||Complimentary Bag Weight Limit||Excess Charged Bag Weight Limit|
|Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+®||50 lbs / 23 kg||N/A|
|Delta SkyMiles® American Express Card, Medallion Status||70 lbs / 32 kg||50 lbs / 23 kg|
The size limits of the bag are calculated by summing up the total outside dimensions of each bag: Length + Width + Height, which is equal to 62 inches or 158 centimetres
Delta Airlines Baggage Fees
The Delta Airlines Baggage fees are applicable at every check-in location, and the base rates may vary depending on the travel dates and destination.
|No. of bags||Weight limit||Fee (each way)|
|1||< 50 lbs (23 kg)||$30 USD|
|2||< 50 lbs (23 kg)||$40 USD|
|3||< 50 lbs (23 kg)||$150 USD|
|4+||< 50 lbs (23 kg)||$200 USD|
Delta Airlines Baggage Fees - Oversize and Overweight Bags
The Delta Airlines baggage fees for overweight and oversized luggage depends on your destination. If your bag is oversized and overweight, more than one fee may apply.
Delta Airlines Baggage Fees - Overweight Bags
|Region||51 lbs (23 kgs) - 70 lbs (31.75 kgs)||71 lbs (32.21 kgs) - 100 lbs (45.36 kgs)|
|U.S. / Canada to U.S. / Canada||$100 USD||$200 USD|
|North / South / Central America to Europe / South Africa||$100 USD||Not Permitted|
|Mexico / Caribbean to Everywhere||$100 USD||$200 USD|
|North America to San Pedro Sula||$150||Not Permitted|
|Asia to Everywhere||$100 USD||$200 USD|
|Australia to Everywhere||$100 USD||Not Permitted|
|All other International Destinations||$100 USD||$200 USD|
Delta Airlines Baggage Fees - Oversize Bags
|Region||63 in / 161 cm – 80 in / 203 cm|
|U.S. / Canada to U.S. / Canada||$200 USD|
|Asia / Middle East / Australia / India to Everywhere||$175 USD|
|North / South / Central America to Europe / South Africa||$300 USD|
|U.S. / Canada to Mexico / Caribbean||$150 USD|
|North America to Africa||$175 USD|
|Brazil to Everywhere||$100 USD|
- Bags weighing more than 100 lbs (45.36 kg) are not allowed on flights within the United States and Canada (including the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico).
- Bags weighing more than 70 lbs (31.75 kg) are prohibited on flights between North/South/Central America and Europe/North Africa.
- Bags weighing more than 70 lbs (31.75 kg) are prohibited on flights to/from/within Australia and New Zealand.
- Bags weighing more than 70 lbs (31.75 kg) are prohibited on flights to/from/through Europe, South Africa, or the United Arab Emirates.
- Delta Airlines checked bags oversize limit is 80 in / 203 cm
To proceed, check the Delta Airlines Check-in policy.